A few years ago I decided to try out a natural hair pixie cut. It was an amazing experience! My wash days had never been so short before. It astonished me how long products lasted me. The only major downside for me was maintenance. My hair grows out relatively fast and salon visits were becoming expensive and not particularly justifiable for me at the time. I had also gotten bored with the style after a few years. So, I decided it was time to grow it back out. Here are my top 5 tips for growing out your short haircut and maintaining the length.
1. Create a routine. Everyone's hair is different. The products that my hair loves might not work for someone else. However, a good routine that you can be consistent with will change the game for you.
2. Take your vitamins. I don't mean hair, skin, or nail vitamins. A well balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables will do wonders for your hair and skin. A multivitamin could also be a nice addition. But, eating well will really do wonders.
3. Drink your water. Seriously, most of us don't drink enough water on a daily basis. Hydrate. (taking a sip right now)
4. Cleanse your scalp. This should be a part of your hair care routine. Take that time to give yourself a really good scalp massage for a few minutes. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
5. Protective style. As a lazy natural, I would constantly braid my hair in a few (very well moisturized) braids and cover them with a scarf and a hat when my hair was too short to do anything else. It was the most comfortable for all day wear and I looked really chic, if I do say so myself. As my hair grew longer I would braid it, pin the braids back and put on a satin or silk lined hat like the one featured below.
Growing out your hair is a marathon, not a sprint. Be really patient with yourself and nurturing to your hair.